10/12/10

Asthma...

The Miller family had "one of those weeks" about a month ago and well I think I am at a point where I can share without getting too emotional. It was a Friday when things began. I found out that Monday I would have to go in and report for Jury Duty. Saturday we attended Weber's Football game which was good - what am I saying - it was AWESOME! Weber won after a treacherous battle through overtimes, and a 20min spell of darkness when the stadium lights turned off in preparation for the fireworks. Needless to say it was a long game, but fun.



The kids stayed at Gma and Gpa Millers and well the cats along with the air quality did not do well for our sweet Roman. So once again he got sick. I didn't notice it though until Wednesday because of coarse I was picked to be on the jury. This lasted until Tuesday late. WAY FUN! *please insert sarcasm* It's interesting how on Monday I thought that my week was going to be discussing the ins and outs of the trial with everyone after it was all over.... NOPE!

Wednesday morning my sweet Roman could barely breath. I was so frustrated because on one hand I knew I needed to take him to the doctors, however on the other hand I was tired of being told he had pneumonia. Since he was born, having inhaled amniotic fluids, then at two having a severe allergy attack, and then continued to have breathing problems, he had been diagnosed 5 times with pneumonia (or close to it). In the last 3 years I have had my suspicions. Unfortunately I couldn't find a physician that would listen to me. So I decided that this time would be different... ENTER CRAZY "Get'er done" MOMMY...

I sent out the text to family (THANKS LACY & BETHANY) who are currently working with physicians who did listen to them about their children. I was given a couple of names which of coarse were busy, so we went to a Physician Assistant by the name of Alisa Barnes - who needless to say has become my hero. I was, how we say, "fit to be tied" and planned on not leaving until real answers were given. Don't ask me what those "real answers" were going to be... I just knew it was NOT pneumonia. Upon our arrival Roman's oxygen level was at a 83, and after many attempts to bring it up to the average 95 we just couldn't. The best he would get to was 88 unless on oxygen. Look how cute he was getting his treatments... sweet boy! He was so afraid he was going to get a shot. Dr. Barnes was so great to help him feel comfortable that he was not going to have to get a shot and that there were other ways to help him feel better.


The moment I knew we were going to get the help we needed was when she realized that we had not had the diagnosis of asthma granted to us. She asked me, "So how much albuterol (sorry about the spelling? still learning all this stuff)do you have left at home?" And I started to cry and explain that we don't have any and no one would give us any and that I don't know what I'm doing other than what I feel has been done is not right. She re-acted perfectly... sincerely surprised, heartbroken, and even cried a bit with me. Then she did exactly what I have been looking for from the very beginning... she rolled up her sleeves and promised me that we would figure this out together and that she would be right beside me helping me understand.

K- now I'm crying... really it's hard to explain the relief, hope, and gratitude of a mother who officially "knows nothing" and yet is taken serious when she "feels" something. She was definitely a "Sister in Zion" doing an angelic errand - I don't even know if she's LDS... which I know doesn't matter. What matters is that MY Father in Heaven - loves me and listens to my prayers.

Although that was the beginning of the endeavor, and we had to end up admitting him into Primary's Children Center - which, by the way, Roman did NOT want to leave.... I thought grandparents were the worst offenders of spoiling children, not so - well maybe they are tied. In any case you can see for Roman, it was not too bad. Well until just before we left when they made him get his flu shot. I try to warn people about my kids strength... it took 1 male nurse, 1 male nurse tech, and a mommy to hold him down. Good times, good times.


  
That Saturday we came home with a healthier child, on the mend, and with a plan for the future. He's an amazing boy. And although my once sweet, docile, calm child is now a fun loving, ready to play - move - run - GO GO GO child, that is not always appreciated when in church or other 'quite' places, I AM GRATEFUL! So grateful that the fact that my car was damaged by a stupid tire shred on the freeway doesn't even matter. 


SO - ASTHMA - Here come the MILLERS!
We are prepared, and ready to enjoy life no matter what it brings... (but please don't tell Satan that ;>)
animals, exercise, bad air days, flu season... WE ARE READY!
We are even ready for the hospital bill ... not happy about it .... but ready ;)!

By the way - it dawned on me after we had to miss my cousin Robby's wedding because of this little hospital stay that my cousin Kenny (Robby's brother) is going to be an AWESOME PA for a future mother like me... Respiratory Therapy background... AWESOME! 

For the many family and friends who helped us out that week - THANK YOU! Those who didn't know- let me apologize! Really it went so fast, and I was so unsure of what was going on from one minute to the next that I didn't get the 'word' out like I know I was probably suppose to. SO DON'T FEEL GUILTY or like you are not on my "contact list" especially if you are just finding out about this event... really it was those who talked to me for other reasons that week that found out. I LOVE YOU ALL and know that with one call you would be by my side! I am a well kept woman! 

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you all had to go through that, I wish that we could have been there for you as well. I want you to know that we pray for you all everyday whether somthing is going on or not. I'm glad that Roman has finally been properly diagnosed and is now recieving treatment. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asmtha Sucks...Let me know if you ever need anything. It makes me sad that you didn't have any meds to treat him. We are always stocked, so honestly I can always run some over. I have a neb. too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yeah... Funny that I can't even spell the freakin word right. Lets try that again...ok here we go.. Asthma!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali, I am so sorry to hear about Roman!
    Are you SURE he is not my kid? I swear, he and I are two peas in a pod! There is NOTHING worse then not being able to breath!
    I just think of his little lungs trying so hard to do what is so natural for everyone else, (well, almost everyone).
    I'm glad he is doing better.
    For the record...You know I would have loved to help you, and still would. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!
    Love ya like a sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ali! What a horrible ordeal to go through with your little baby boy! I am so glad you've been able to figure out what was happening with him though. That really must be a huge relief! Your kids are all so adorable. They are such a blend of you and Aaron. Let me know if I can do anything. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete